Henderson Collegiate is seeking a School Nutrition Manager to oversee the School Nutrition staff members and ensure that the School Nutrition program operates smoothly, effectively, and in compliance with all local, state, and federal requirements. The ideal candidate for this position should possess a vision for providing all students with healthy, fresh, and natural food options.
- Implements the standards of Henderson Collegiate, the State, and Federal School Nutrition Program relating to food preparation, sanitation and serving practices.
- Meets with Henderson Collegiate students for Student Power Over Our Nutrition (SPOON) meetings.
- Teaches younger Henderson Collegiate students through the Food Explorers program.
- Plans and supervises food preparation based on sound principles of nutrition, acceptability, effective use of USDA commodities and cost control.
- Creates school system menus that use recipes and meet all meal component requirements.
- Operates the School Nutrition Program in a financially sound manner, controlling labor and food costs.
- Adheres to Henderson Collegiate staff rules & regulations, and ensures that School Nutrition employees adhere to same standards.
- Trains, directs, and supervises School Nutrition employees in all aspects of the School Nutrition Program. Works with staff fairly and impartially.
- Prepares a daily production schedule for all School Nutrition employees.
- Maintains the highest standards of sanitary conditions in the cafeteria area, including employee cleanliness, and food handling, preparation and storage.
- Maintains attractive food appearance & merchandising.
- Assures proper equipment use, maintenance and energy conservation.
- Handles personnel problems and alerts Director of Resources of situations that need to be handled by his/her supervisor.
- Counts and records School Nutrition money daily.
- Keeps all School Nutrition records current (food production records, inventories, meal and money records, purchasing records, employee records, monthly reports and manual student rosters).
- Accurately maintains all records relating to free and reduced priced meal applications. Communicates with appropriate persons regarding any changes.
- Creates a friendly, courteous atmosphere in the cafeteria, which results in high percentages of student and adult participation.
- Checks temperatures of freezers, coolers, and dry storage areas and logs temperatures daily during the school months. Makes arrangements with school administrators to provide daily temperature checks during holidays and the summer months.
- Maintains safe working conditions and trains employees in safety procedures.
- Reports all accidents and observes workers’ health so that the public may be protected against disease.
- Works cooperatively with school Principal and staff to ensure quality of educational programs.
- Implements suggestions of Director of Resources to improve the effectiveness of the program.
- Provides Director of Resources with end-of-the-month reports by established due dates.
- Adapts well to emergencies, change, and new situations.
- Attends annual in-service training as needed or required.
- Conducts herself/himself professionally, is immaculately clean and well groomed, and provides a good role model for employees.
- Meets Henderson Collegiate School Nutrition Program personnel standards, requirements and conditions of employment (SN-161).
- Performs other tasks as needed or assigned by the Executive Director, Director of Resources, Principals, and Directors of Operations.
Education Background and Work Experience
- Required: Bachelor’s degree.
- Preferred: Public health nutrition experience or professional culinary training.
- Must be willing to participate in and successfully complete O.N.E. required by the State Department of Education within 12 months of initial employment.
- Must successfully complete one 30-hour Training in Depth Course every year until the four courses required for the program are completed, and must participate in and successfully complete continuing courses every three years thereafter.
- Thorough knowledge of federal and state meal patterns & requirements
- Knowledge of standards of food preparation, portion control and serving procedures
- Knowledge of effective record-keeping and inventory procedures
- Knowledge of balanced, healthy meal creation and delivery
- Strong ability to organize, delegate and supervise
- Exhibits leadership qualities and the ability to work well with others
- Possesses a cooperative and open-minded attitude
- Willing and able to accept direction and able to motivate
- Relates well to students, families, teachers / staff, and the community
- Strong work ethic and ability to follow-through with any task or project
- Willingness to respond positively to critical feedback
- Possesses a “make it happen” attitude, along with an entrepreneurial spirit
- Strong belief in the Henderson Collegiate mission and educational model
Compensation and Benefits
Salary for this position is competitive and commensurate with experience. Additionally, Henderson Collegiate offers a full benefits package.
Henderson Collegiate is an equal opportunity employer and an organization that values diversity. People from all backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply by emailing their resume and cover letter to our Recruitment Director, Robin Kendall, at email@example.com. Applications without either of these documents will not be considered.
Henderson Collegiate | High Performing Charter Middle Schools Henderson NC 252-598-1038