The Development Director will lead the strategic direction and overall management of all organization fundraising and development efforts in cooperation with the Executive Director, board of directors, volunteers, key committees, and outside consultants.
The Development Director should be an experienced speaker and writer with excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to present and interpret program goals to potential donors. S/he must also have a demonstrated ability to establish and maintain positive and productive working relationships with all levels of staff, donors, and volunteers.
This is an ideal opportunity for an individual with a relentless drive to deliver results, who is energized by the opportunity to serve as a representative and leader for the organization in the community. The ideal candidate will also be deeply committed to growing the Development team and will feel equally accountable for his/her personal and professional development.
Design Development Strategy
- Work with the Executive Director and senior staff members to identify funds needed, preferred funding targets, and fundraising approaches
- Responsible for the design and implementation of a comprehensive development plan for raising restricted and unrestricted gifts and grants that will enable our staff to fulfill our mission. This includes, but is not limited to, all activities associated with identifying, securing, nurturing, and engaging existing and new individual, corporate, and institutional donors.
- Develop plans for strategically maximizing institutional and individual giving on an annual basis for all capital and operating needs, and must be able to plan, launch and execute campaigns to meet defined revenue needs.
- Conduct research, donor identification, and application to a variety of donor sources, including major gifts, corporate and foundation giving, planned giving, and in-kind donations
- Manage capital campaigns, engaging and partnering with capital campaign firms as necessary
- Build a robust and diverse donor base: Develop, cultivate and maintain key long-term relationships with all donors, volunteers, and prospects
- Manage the continued implementation and use of Salesforce, an accountability and internal data / donor management system that will be used to drive reporting and decision making for new and expected gifts / donors
- Ensure prompt and accurate communication with all donors; holds primary responsibility for meeting all grant requirements including grant contract review and execution, tracking contract milestones, and completing grant reports to submit to granting partners
- Ability to plan, organize, and execute special events for both fundraising and public relations-oriented goals
- Work closely with school leaders to ensure development activities accurately reflect school priorities and values without putting undue burden on school staff
- Maintain and carry out consistent communication with local media regarding organization and its activities and plans
- Send out regular correspondence to donors, families, local media, and other interested parties about organization events and activities
- Serve as liaison on school’s behalf with media contacts
- Network and build relationships in the local community as well as among professional groups, corporate and philanthropic leaders, and current donors to enhance development objectives
- Perform other related duties as required and assigned
Skills & Experience
- Development/Fundraising: Proven success in development for a nonprofit. Experience running campaigns and success fundraising from a diverse stream of donor channels.
- Project Leadership: Experience in planning, leading, and managing development projects (including coordinating with peers, volunteers, families and staff to achieve desired outcomes) and tracking and reporting on progress to Executive Director/board of directors.
- Entrepreneurial Spirit: Takes initiative and actively seeks to deepen current donor relationships, as well as to seek out and cultivate new ones.
- Communications: Skilled in creating powerful, compelling written and oral communications for fundraising. Ability to convey complex ideas through brief, simple materials. Experience and credibility when presenting materials to external audiences.
- Influencing: Gets others to accept ideas by using convincing arguments, creates a win-win situation and responds appropriately to key stakeholders.
- Collaboration: Effective at working with and leading and inspiring others to reach common goals and objectives as part of a team.
- Relationship Building: Skilled at establishing and cultivating strong relationships with peers, across different levels of the organization, and externally.
- Problem-Solving: Ability to be data-driven, analytical and problem-solving in the face of challenges and new pursuits.
- Organization: Very strong organizational skills and the ability to manage projects with overlapping deadlines; possessing a meticulous attention to detail and self-driven follow-through.
- Required: Bachelor’s degree
- Preferred: 3+ years of direct fundraising experience, preferably serving low-income communities and initiatives
- Preferred: At least 2 or more years teaching experience, preferably in an underserved area
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation is very competitive and commensurate with experience. We also offer full benefits and inclusion in the state retirement plan. Staff members are provided with a school laptop and accompanying software.
Special Application Instructions
Interested applicants should send their resume and cover letter to the Recruitment Team as attachments to an email at email@example.com. In your cover letter, please address the following topics:
- Highlight your experience working with low-income, minority, or historically underachieving students.
- Provide specific evidence of your alignment with Henderson Collegiate’s mission to help students become better people, attend and graduate from their college of choice and become world-changing problem solvers and/or Henderson Collegiate’s core values (Pride, Responsibility, Integrity, Determination, Enthusiasm).
Henderson Collegiate is an Equal Opportunity Employer, welcoming people to flourish in an open and inclusive work environment. A diverse pool of candidates is welcomed and encouraged.
Henderson Collegiate | High Performing Charter Middle Schools Henderson NC 252-598-1038